There are so many aspects to organizing the Knitting Heritage Symposium. Making sure the right people learn about it and attend is crucial. I am grateful for what Beth Casey, president of Lorna’s Laces, posted as Chair of TNNA’s Yarn Group about the Symposium on TNNA’s blog:
Yesterday the Knitting Heritage Museum project got a another boost. Having a free standing web page is important for ease of contact, creating a presence, and building credibility. Figuring out who should host it, and what platform and template to use are all barriers to getting a web page up and running, not to mention having fresh, informative content. Some of those barriers tumbled down thanks to a hosting offer.
Our first step is to select a domain name; this is a different quest from naming a non-profit organization, but no less important. Frankly, picking a domain name intimidates me. I shared my musings with some of my ad hoc team. I realized that I could expand the circle of advice, by asking your help.
Ideally the name for our effort and its web page will be:
- inclusive (including references to both knitting and crochet) – something our current name lacks.
- memorable or at least easy to remember (if I could give an example, I wouldn’t have to ask you all for help <VBG>). One bit of advice was to create an acronym, based on the initials of the name we use.
- not too long or awkward (like the example below)
- Versatile & flexible – something that the KnittingandCrochetHeritageProjectorInitiative.org could grow into.
- Clearly depict who we are: YarnArtsHeritage.org is appealingly inclusive -but who know what it means, since it doesn’t even use the words knit and crochet?
- At least not create confusion or imply what we are not: Hookandneedleheritage.org – is this for tattoed fishermen?
I pondered whether it might be a good idea to drop the word museum from the domain name in favor of calling our effort a Project or initiative. That way even if we never get to a physical brick and mortar establishment, our name would not imply that we fell short of our goal.
Now that i have shared my angst, here are my ideas. You are welcome to say none of the above and suggest something better.
Should i shorten Knitting to Knit??
YAH with project or initiative or museum . . . . .
A quick search shows that many of these combos could be available, but not too many of the acronyms
Let my know what you think!
A Gentle Reminder – Early Bird Registration for the symposium ends Sept. 5. Rooms in the Lowell Center – the most convenient place to stay are limited. Make plans to join us at this important event.